}

Monday 21 July 2014

My Top 5 Fit Foods.

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog. 

Today I am sharing with you my top 5 foods you should be including in your diet for optimum health and fitness.

Whether you work out or not, you should fuel your body with the right types of foods. If you do work out, it's even more important to eat not just the right foods but at the right times. Working out without eating right, will do you no favours physically or mentally and you won't get the most from your workout nor will you be shifting that body fat either.

The most important macro nutrient when leading an active lifestyle is protein. You should consume a lean source of protein with every meal. Protein contains amino acids which essentially repair and rebuild your muscle tissue. 

You also want to be consuming ''good carbs'' i.e fruit, vegetables, brown rice, sweet potatoes and rolled oats and ''good fats'' i.e avocado, oily fish, seeds, oils and nuts.

So, here are my personal top 5 fit foods that I eat on a mostly daily basis:

Rolled Oats

Rolled oats aka oats/porridge. Oats are one of the best sources of good carbs and a great way to start your day. This super grain is a low GI food thus releasing energy slowly which has a positive effect on blood sugar and staves off hunger pans. I eat these pre-workout made with unsweetened almond milk then add some fruit, flaxseed and whey protein to cover all macro nutrients.


Fruit

Ahhhhh, fruit. Quite possibly my favourite food ever. Every type of fruit contains different amounts of sugar and vitamins so I like to eat different fruits on a daily basis. I typically only eat fruit with breakfast (pre-workout) and post-workout. Even though fruit is really good for you and contains natural sugars, it should be limited to pre and post workout when you need the sugar for fuel and then to replace glycogen lost during exercise. Some of the best fruits to consume when exercising are bananas, berries, apples and watermelon. But of course, you can choose any that you like.


Chia Seeds

A staple in my diet, these tiny seeds pack a powerful punch. Rich in antioxidants, fibre, omega 3, minerals, good carbs and protein. These are great for the active individual as they provide energy and hydration too. Chia seeds have been around for centuries and are native to South America. Unlike some other seeds, they can be eaten whole and don't need to be milled. They are also tasteless so perfect for adding to smoothies, yogurts, oats or whatever you fancy! I sprinkle these into my breakfast most mornings as they are a perfect pre-workout food.

Greek Yogurt

My go to source of protein at breakfast time is Greek yogurt. It is so high in protein while being low in calories, carbohydrates and fat *thumbs up* Greek yogurt is great if you are trying to lose body fat and it is so versatile. I like to add to chia seeds, nuts, fruit etc to it for a quick and healthy breakfast.  It's also very easy to digest so again, a great pre-workout choice.


Impact Whey protein

Last but by no means least, whey protein. If you are following an exercise plan that is vigorous or includes strength training/weights, you should be consuming a protein supplement such as whey protein within 30-60 minutes after finishing your workout. After an intense workout, minute tears can occur in your muscles and an immediate source of amino acids (protein) is needed to help rebuild and repair the muscle tissue. Unlike meat and fish which can take hours to digest, whey protein is digested quickly this making it the superior choice for a post workout protein source. Pictured here is my preferred whey protein from Myprotein.com I have the natural strawberry flavour but there are sooo many to choose from. I just mix one heaped scoop with water, shake and consume! This is the best value and best quality protein I have tried. Plus it is really delicious too :-)


So, there you have it. My top five fit foods.

What are your top fit foods?

Do you include any of these foods in your daily diet?

Please leave me a comment and let me know.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment